Saturday, November 17, 2007

The best course

I'm excited about Thanksgiving. I think its my favorite holiday. It doesn't involve anything but getting together, eating, drinking and having a good time. The first set of winter holidays after Thomas and I started dating, my family, all eleven of us, was invited to Thomas's parents' home. Pauline put on a huge meal for over twenty people serving all sorts of wonderful dishes I had never tried before. She had parsnips, leeks and little tiny onions in a fabulous gravy. We were stuffed to the gills and well beyond sated. Then she brought out the desserts. Wow! Pauline likes to put on a holiday just so she can make dessert, and more dessert and more dessert. There was apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, chocolate mousse, Russian cream and more. My family was dumbfounded with the number of sweet selections we had to choose from that day.

This Thanksgiving, I am not making the meal, hooray! We have been invited to my cousin's home in Orange County. When the invitation came in I quickly replied, "Sure! We'll bring dessert!"

I'm doing Thanksgiving 'Pauline style.' After all these years I now have a collection of my favorite recipes, my mom's pumpkin pie, Pauline's Russian cream and chocolate mousse. I am also going to try a new apple pie recipe, fresh crust and all.

Thanksgiving dessert recipes

Below is Pauline's famous chocolate mousse. It's an easy recipe, only six ingredients and so delicious. (My brother tried to horde the bowl all for himself on that Thanksgiving day nine years ago. I think he succeeded too, I have a very vivid picture in my mind of him clutching it tightly to his chest and giving other diners an evil glare.) Really you should try it. It's awesome.

Pauline's Famous Chocolate Mousse
8 oz semisweet chocolate
1/4 c butter
4 eggs, separated
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c sugar
1 c whipping cream, whipped

In a medium saucepan over very low heat, melt butter and chocolate stirring constantly. Remove from heat. In a large bowl, combine 4 yolks and vanilla. Using wire whisk gradually add the chocolate to yolks blending well. In a small bowl, beat 4 egg whites until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into chocolate. Fold in whipped cream. Refrigerate. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Sue said...

I quickly scribbled it down in case it disappeared. I've had the pleasure of tasting Pauline's chocolate mousse - and it is pure heaven.

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm ... and it really is superb! Maybe I'll try to make it too ... like when you're in the East in December.

Anonymous said...

I may need to make this...although I'm horrible at the whole separating eggs thing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...