Monday, February 18, 2008

A dislocated shoulder or two

I love the idea of taking my dogs for a walk, but unfortunately for everyone that's all it is some days, an idea. I have been walking them much more recently. I do not always jump off my butt to get dragged around the neighborhood. Henry and Lola have been better at walking calmly but it usually isn't until after the first mile of our walk, making that first mile hell. We've tried many different techniques, using a harness, holding them back behind the left knee, general yelling and screaming, walking back and forth until the dog gets confused enough to watch where YOU'RE going rather than where they want to go. None has really worked with any consistency. But thank goodness for Mondays off! After watching an episode of the Dog Whisperer, I discovered that the problem may be part dog and part human. As much as I've avoided the program, Cesar Millan may have a point!

Dedicate at least 45 minutes of time to the dog’s walk in the morning. Let the dog know you have a consistent pattern that you expect it to follow. Utilize your dog’s energy in a positive manner.



I have never been consistently dedicated to getting them out for a long period of time each day. I think I will give this technique a try. It can't hurt!

: :: ::: :: :

Week 4
Walking: 6.5 miles

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, lol you dont say how old they are but if they are under 5 they need that energy discharge for sure!

I am 54 and dont have the energy to keep up with the rescues I am asked to work with -all problem dogs. So I turned them all into leashless treadmill dogs and they go for an hour or so FIRST before I walk them and what a difference that makes!

you can see how to do that by going to youtube and typing in cjanderson.

The other thing that really does help is either getting the Ilusion collar from their website or using a haltie or gentle leader - so much easier to control.

Keep up the good work, you are headed in the right direction!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...