Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Happy Fastnacht Day!

Happy WHAT day? Isn't it Fat Tuesday? No, it's Fastnacht Day. It's almost like Fat Tuesday only without the drunken, shirt lifting debauchery. Rather than Happy Let's-party-today-because-tomorrow-is-Lent Day, it's more Happy use-up-all-the-leftover-lard-before-we-have-to-fast-for-Lent Day! Even though lard isn't so prevalent these days the Pennsylvania Dutch still keep the fastnacht tradition strong, because why wouldn't you choose one day a year to gorge yourself on donuts?

Generally we are not the first to align ourselves with the Pennsylvania Dutch, but I think in this case we can make an exception. Who doesn't love fresh donuts? To celebrate the momentous holiday, I popped out to Chow's Donuts to pick up our breakfast. As I drove down the hill I imagined there not being any donuts left to buy. What if I'm too late? The donuts might have been sold by 8 and here it is, 8:15 am and I AM NOT GOING TO GET ONE! (That is what really happens in Pennsylvania, you can't get a fastnacht anywhere if you didn't preorder last week!)

However, I've come to realize that we maybe the only people in our Southern California town to celebrate Fastnacht Day. Luckily, there was plenty to choose from at Chow's.

Fastnacht Day

I made my selections and happily headed back up the hill to our home. It was well worth the drive.

Fastnacht Day

3 comments:

Sue said...

I prefer to be called "Pennsylvania German" thank you.

Did anyone look at you funny @ Chows while you were snapping pics of their product?

Unknown said...

I take stealth photographs. Mrs. Chow was none the wiser!

Anonymous said...

Who likes the powdered one? In England it is called Shrove Tuesday and you are supposed to use up your eggs and flour etc. and make pancakes for supper. Some places have pancake races. P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...